Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Disneyland of Consciousness

     I found this video, The Disneyland of Consciousness, very interesting.  The capabilities of our mind is incredible.  As magnificent as our minds are, they can easily be fooled by things like life-like images, robots, and technological advances.  It is almost as though our brain forms its own opinion on the messages being transmitted and creates a perception of something that in reality is not as it may appear.  I think this happens to us more often than what we pay attention to.  There are several instances where I am positive I see something one way, but upon closer inspection I realize that I was completely wrong.  For example, a few years ago I took my car through a drive through car wash, where I had to sit in my car and wait for the machine to run the brushes from the front to the back of my car and vice versa until it is done being washed.  I could not help but to instinctively slam on my breaks from time to time because it appeared to me that my car was rolling forward when in reality it was the huge machinery running the brushes back and forth over my car that was moving.  Much like the lady that was fooled by Lincoln's robot at Disneyland in the 1960s, we are prone to having these incidents happen to us more often due to the advancements in technology these days.

     It is surprising to think that as much as we think we have full control over our minds, we really don't.  As I said before, our mind has the ability to take in the messages being sent and forming its own opinion.  Especially when we are dreaming, our consciousness is free to do as it pleases.  A perfect example of this is when we have nightmares.  We consciously do not want to have bad dreams, especially those that seem so real, but our minds create these images and our perception of them is that they are real and we are unwillingly a part of them.  In sum, we are not in full control of our minds when we are awake and especially not when we are asleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment